Celebrated since May, 1985 (beginning on the first Sunday of the month), Public Service Recognition Week (PSRW) is organized annually by the Public Employees Roundtable (PER), and its member organizations, to honor the men and women who serve our nation as federal, state, county and local government employees.
Throughout the country, mayors, governors, agency leaders, communities and public service organizations participate in PSRW by issuing proclamations; hosting award ceremonies and special tribute events; and delivering messages about the value of public service. We encourage government leaders and public servants from all backgrounds to participate by showing appreciation to their employees and colleagues and by sharing stories of excellence in public service.
Without government workers, there would be:
- A military without weapons, vehicles, training or paychecks
- Classrooms full of students but no teachers
- Dilapidated roads, highways, coastlines and airways
- Polluted rivers, toxic air, contaminated water and pesticide-laden food
- Empty mailboxes and dramatically higher shipping costs for businesses and consumers
- No law enforcement officers to defend our borders, patrol our streets or lock up criminals
- No doctors or nurses to care for our veterans and wounded warriors
- No investigators, judges and other staff to enforce civil rights laws that protect against job-related discrimination
- No oversight of financial institutions, food and drug companies, utilities, elections and workplaces
- No forecasts and warnings of impending storms and natural disasters, and no emergency workers to respond in their aftermath
So this week, say a special “thank you” to the postal carrier delivering your mail, the TSA officer ensuring your plane is safe for flight, the Social Security representative processing your retirement application, the VA nurse caring for your family member, the soldier protecting us overseas and the law enforcement officer protecting us at home. They are all government workers, and they are proud to work for you.